Fix Low Back Pain With The Single Arm Farmers Carry:
The single arm farmers carry is a great exercise that can be used to strengthen and re-balance the core and Quadratus Lumborum. By using this exercise to help re-balance your core strength, you can also alleviate low back pain or prevent low back pain all together. Strength, stability, balance and overall resiliency of the core is essential for not only basic functional movement, but also to avoid becoming predisposed to injury. ESPECIALLY lower back pain!
How To Perform The Single Arm Farmers Carry
- Start with a weight that is not too light but not to heavy either.
- While holding the weight in one hand, begin walking.
- Maintain a neutral spine and upright posture with an engaged core during the length of the exercise.
- Time yourself on one side. Rest. Then, time yourself on the opposite side.
- If you find that you can perform the carry for a significant time longer on one side in comparison to the other, then, you have found an imbalance.
Begin training the weak side until you reach the point where you can perform the exercise for as long on the weak side as you can the strong side.
This exercise trains not only the entire core, but specifically the Quadratus Lumborum, which is a lateral flexor of the spine when acting unilaterally.
Anatomy of the core:
- pelvic floor muscles
- transversus abdominis
- internal and external obliques
- rectus abdominis
- erector spinae (sacrospinalis) especially the longissimus thoracis
- lumbar muscles: quadratus Lumborum (deep portion) and deep rotators
- cervical muscles: rectus capitus anterior and lateralis, longus coli may also be considered members of the core group.
- Minor core muscles include the latissimus dorsi, gluteus maximus, and trapezius.